Subject: Re: [Leica] color noctilux autumn images
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 12:12:42 -0500

Dragi Anevski wrote:

> B.D.
>
> It does not make me dizzy. On the contrary I think that this lens seems
> to help a lot when composing:

How can a lens help with composing on a rangefinder, since you don't
know what's going on through the lens?

> 1. On all pictures, the out of focus areas are blurred and you don't
> mind e.g. the red parts in the first picture "Ted picking...". Stopping
> down would take that effect away. So this could be very useful for
> certain pictures. And you do see the background, only that you're drawn
> to the in focus area.

While I certainly understand that all of this is a matter of taste, the
"out of focus" blurrs are quite ugly. For a group that is always talking
about the import of bokeh, I would think that most bokeh fans would
think that this bokeh is really attrocious.

> 2. The darker corners makes you concentrate on the middle, which can be
> very effective, as in Rei's pictures. It's not an uncommon technique to
> burn the edges, although not everyone would like it to show as much as
> in these pictures.

Usually we criticize - in fact we try not to use - lenses with this kind
of drop off in the corners. This is what's called a serious fault when
testing lenses. It's certainly understandable that go get to f1 and keep
the central part of the image sharp, the Nocdesigners had to make
trade-offs, but those trade-offs are hardly something to praise.

> 3. "Cut out and inserted..." That's things you do in photoshop, and I
> doubt it would look this good then. At least I've never seen photoshop
> pictures looking like this.

Believe me, if this had been done in Photoshop it would be far smoother
and vastly superior.

> I can imagine that if you only got this kind of pictures, you might get
> tired of it eventually. But I've never seen pictures with the Noctilux
> wide open, and I was blown away by these. The blurring makes you see the
> composition more clearly, it becomes more lines and areas. But that
> depends on whether you want that or not. Also one could very well
> compose the pictures so that the effect doesn't become as strong if its
> too much for ones taste, for instance in the picture on Ted (?) alone by
> the fence, you could change the composition to have a different angle
> between the lens and the fence.
>
> I think the pictures look fantastic.

Again, we're talking about taste, and mine is certainly no better than
yours.:-) But I believe we are also talking about the Emperor and his
new clothes here. And it really is time to admit that he's stark
nekid...or at least to admit that the Noctilux is a must have lens for
the purpose for which it was designed, and quite poor as a general
purpose lens.

In fact, I will stick my neck out again and ask Dr. Noctilux, otherwise
known as Ted "F1 and be there" Grant, what he thinks of the images
produced by the Noctilux under the conditions we see in these images.

B. D.