Subject: [Leica] Doughnuts vs Circles
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:52:16 -0800

Just got some slides back from a test I shot with a Jupiter-3
(50mm/1.5).
To my surprise I noticed that when wide open, the out of focus
highlights
turned into rings or doughnuts as opposed to the circles I've seen with
Noctilux or Summilux. It actualy looks very pretty, but I had always
been
under the impression that these kinds of artifacts were only seen in the
domain
of reflector type lenses (is that the correct term?). The other and
rather
shocking thing I noticed was how darn sharp this $50 dollar lens
was...but
then again it is a Zeiss at heart.

Anyone?

cheers,