Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: M6 for soccer
From: Rick Floyd <rick-floyd@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 19:07:36 -0500

John:

Okay, now there is FINALLY a subject on the LUG I know SOMETHING about.
First, let me ask, are you referring to football as in 11 players against 11
players beating each other into a bloody pulp while they use their hands and
a pointed ball?  Or football as in 11 players against 11 players beating
each other into a bloody pulp where they CAN'T use their hands and use a
round ball?

Anyway, with all respect to the other responses, I'll tell you it will take
you MUCH LONGER to learn to use the EOS effectively than your M6.  I have
used virtually every EOS made and am currently using a 1v to shoot
college/high school/youth soccer.  It is the best tool for this job.

It's true that you can take an EOS out of the box, turn it on and start
snapping pictures.  You can do that with an M6.  But without LOTS of
practice the photos you make with either won't be worth much.  The only
difference between the two is the EOS shots may be in focus and probably
properly exposed.

To learn the EOS and fully understand when to take over control instead of
letting the camera make the decisions is a combination of luck, art and
science.  Shooting soccer (football) with "in your face" action at extreme
ends of a long field takes time, understanding of the game and practice,
practice, practice.  Each game I am pleased to come away with one, two or
maybe three great shots - a far lower hit rate than with my M6.

With the M6, I just have to set the film speed, shutter speed, aperture and
focus.  These are automatically set by the EOS.  But you will need to learn
how to activate focus with your thumb, press the shutter release with your
index finger, while you watch your film counter steak from 36 to 0 in 5-6
seconds and with a 300/400/500/600mm image with one eye and all the action
with the other.  All this while trying not to be run over or clobbered with
an errant ball.

As far as capturing THE moment, I think it is hard with an M6.  Now master
that and remember with the EOS, you have subjects running and changing
direction at full speed.

Is one better than the other?  Only for the specific tasks they were
designed for.  Otherwise, I think it is the subject matter in both cases
that make photography both great and difficult.  Either camera is just the
tool - it is mastering the tool that leads to the end result.

Hope this helps.  Sorry for the long "off topic" discussion.  I'll go back
to lurking again.

Best,
Rick