Subject: Re: [Leica] color noctilux autumn images
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:04:42 -0500

I'm going to stick my neck out really, really far, here - (and then run
off to teach tonight's class, saving me until tomorrow from the flames ;-) )

I don't think that there is any question that Rei is one of the better
photographers on the LUG, but that lens is a pig.

I can see using a Noctilux, with all its glaringly obvious faults, when
it is the only piece of glass with which one can capture a particular
image worth capturing. Which generally means something happening in
virtually no light.

But when used to take this kind of photo, it produces images that can
literally make a viewer slightly dizzy and nauseaus. As I look at the
upper several images, I'm not sure whether a lens element is out of
wack, or vasoline has been smeared across part of the lens. And as I
look at the bottom image, I get the feeling that a sharp photo of a
child has been cut out and inserted into a blurry forground and
background image.

Again, I'm not talking about the photography as such - these photos, if
taken with, say, a Summilux 75 opened up, would have been lovely. But
this lens, under these circumstances, is an image killer.

Sorry.

B. D.