Subject: [Leica] piezo plunge OT - Now Nikon LS 8000 problems
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 17:01:53 EST

Photovilla@aol.com wrote:

> ... The LS-4000 doesn't have the many problems that the LS-8000 has...

> so if you just need to do 35mm negs. you are in luck. The Sprintscan

> has not impressed me as much personally. I have heard that they can

> be had very cheaply though.

Rich,

What problems does the LS-8000 have ?  On paper, it seems such a dream

multi-format scanner.

- - - Phong

- - --

While I have not personally used one, a lot of people are claiming that the
LS-8000 has a calibration problem between the three CCD layers. This produces
banding, and in some cases, fuzzy images. It is NOT being denied by Nikon, so
I guess some do have the problem.

The LS-4000 has no defect problems that I am aware of. It is a gem of a
scanner and is at least 75% of the reason I decided to sell Nikon. (the FM3a
and the Coolpics 5000 are the other 25%!<g>)

I have heard and seen some very good jobs done with the Digital ICE program
and while there are complaints too, I think you would have complaints no
matter what they come up with. There is ALWAYS room for improvement... I try
to get my negs. as clean as possible before scanning...it is always better
than retouching in conventional or digital darkrooms. ;->

The SS4000 is fine...I don't know of any problems. It just isn't quite as
good as the Nikon scanners in my opinion. The scans look to me to be good,
but not great. Perhaps on the level of the E10 that I have been experimenting
with...nice, cool, but not 100% there yet.

 That and the fact that future tech. support may be in question would be
enough for me to steer a consumer away from getting one had they not already
purchased one. If you have one, don't worry so long as it is working I'm sure
it will be fine...

bests,
Rich