Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Responsiveness of M6 meter at f/1.4 to f/2
From: "Mārtiņš Zelmenis" <martin@lrpv.lv>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 09:54:47 +0300

Dear Ray,
I simply _can't believe_ that vigneting could be the cause of your problem!
M6 is metering just the centre of the frame.

Martin

Dear All,

Thanks to all who responded to my question about the behaviour of the
M6 TTL meter with the 50/1.4 Summilux-M lens at wide apertures. I have
been waiting for a reply to this question from Leica but so far no
luck.

Basically, the M6 TTL meter seems less responsive to changes in
aperture around f/1.4-f/2 than at narrower apertures. Sometimes it
behaves as if changing from f/1.4 to f/2 is only a half-stop
difference; at other times, it doesn't respond at all. The meter always
reponds normally to changes in shutter speed, however. I doubt if
there's anything wrong with the camera or the lens, I just think it
must a phenomenon due to vignetting, as suggested.

The suggestion from list members that made the mose sense to me was
that vignetting could be confusing the meter. My 50 'lux is the one
previous to the current model, with separate metal slotted shade. I
have tried taking readings without the shade attached but I can't see
that it makes any difference.

When I eventualy hear from Leica on this, I'll share their response
with the list.

Regards,

=====
Ray