Subject: Re: [Leica] focusing by moving self instead of lens
From: "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 20:12:52 -0500

David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> wrote:

> I quickly learned not fine tune with the focusing of my 50/3.5 Micro
> Nikkor when shooting bugs for Ortho Lawn & Garden books in late
> 70's. Kids, animals, bugs....it's all the same. Only with macro,
> instead of a step it's just a head bob!

One of my favorite photo exercises is to shoot a roll of film with a single
lens. The rules are that the camera must be handheld, each photo must be of
a different subject and the lens must be at closest focus. Typically I use
fast film and smaller apertures. For some cameras/lenses I bend the focus
rule a bit, though. With my Ms and DR Summicron I snap on the eyes and focus
within the close range only. With my Contaflex SLRs I use one of the Proxars
(sorta the equivalents of Elpros) Zeiss made for these cameras and focus
within the limited range they allow. Even then I end up fine-tuning via the
head bob method. I find this an enjoyable change-of-pace and an effective
way of zeroing in on shapes & tones & contrasts without the need (or,
sometimes, the ability) to be representational.

- -Dave-

Message from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> (Re: [Leica] focusing by moving self instead of lens)