Subject: RE: [Leica] Non-Leica lenses for available light
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:39:12 -0800

At 10:38 AM -0800 11/17/01, Guy Bennett wrote:
>  >Rei Shinozuka wrote:
>>
>>"how bad is the 24/2.0?  check out bottom photo of
>>http://www.shinozuka-family.com/wtc/wtcindex.html
>>note the ghastly highlights near the edges!"
>

>Ouch! That is particularly nasty, and a good reasons to invest in the Leica
>24 M. Sure it's one stop slower,  but with faster film that isn't so much
>of a problem. And it'll never give you those bizarre light smudges.
>
>Guy
>--

Just try the pre-ASPHERICAL 35/1.4 Leica lens under similar
conditions wide open, and you will see coma at least as strong. I had
a couple of these since the 60's until the ASPH came out, and I've
also had the 24/2 Nikkor since it came out. The Nikkor is a bit
flatter in contrast, but otherwise its performance wide open is
possibly slightly better than the old Summilux's. Both are useful
wide open, but improve significantly with just a bit of stopping down.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com