Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica lenses for available light
From: Paul Chefurka <chefurka@home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 18:19:53 -0500

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001 05:37:49 -0500, "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
wrote:

>Having photographed numerous demonstrations I have used a kit similiar to
>yours, Two Ms and a F3HP. What I learned is that to get good demonstration
>photos you need to be close-in with the demonstrators. So my recommendation
>would be to dump the F3 and the Leica 90mm.
>
>Go wide with 35, 28 and a 21 if you have one. Take a 50 as a telephoto.
>
>I would also like to suggest that by getting close in you can get some
>really meaty stuff of the demonstrators and police. Try and get away from
>the dreaded pictures of demonstrators carrying signs--been done to death.

Good advice - the people are the real story here.  Everyone knows the
issues.

I've been agonizing over lens/body choices all week.  I've got a
"dry run" tomorrow, and I may do it with just M's and see how it goes.  I
know about getting in close, but I do want a longer lens to pull faces out
of a crowd, or just to stay out of tear-gas range :-)

The one thing makes for success in a shoot like this (for an amateur,
anyway) is to take a single theme and work it in all the different
situations you go through.  I'll certainly be doing the human side rather
than the political side, but expect I'll have to wait for the real hook to
present itself during the event  the trick is to keep thinking about what
you're seeing, to pull the single unifying idea out of it, and shoot to
illustrate it.

We'll see how it goes.  I'll post results when I have them.
Thanks for your thoughts, Steve.

Paul
http://www.chefurka.com