Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: High altitude question
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 10:24:06 -0800

At 11:23 AM 11/15/2001 -0500, Zeissler, Mitch wrote:
>I've used a color temp meter years ago in the studio, but I have only
>read of the high altitude color temp shift.  Maybe someone else can
>elaborate for you.
>
>/Mitch Zeissler

The color temp of outside, blue sky, at various altitudes is well
established. Catalogs like the B+W filter catalog (page 5) lists color
temps of various sources. A color meter, I believe from personal
experience, is useless outside under simple sunlight source lighting.

Now, if you were mixing strobe with sunlight and using white or gold or
silver reflectors, a color temp meter might be useful to tell you how to
keep everything close to the same temp.

But I suspect you are not doing catalog work at hi altitude. Even if you
are, the KR3 and KR6 work wonders to convert the hi altitude color temp
down to normal. That's basically what they are. Color conversion filters. I
also use them on cold gloomy days here along the CA Pacific coast.

I think folks in Portland have KR3's welded to their lenses...  ;)

Jim