Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport Security?
From: Tom Christiansen <tomchr@softhome.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:24:02 -0800

Folks,

> >>I plan to fly out next week and will be bringing in the film lead bags of
>course.
>
>Alfie forget the lead bags, use that money saved to buy more film.

I agree. The only thing a lead bag will do is make the screeners suspicious
and increase the x-ray dose.

>Why? Well first of all the carry on scanner wont do anything to your film
>and life at the security check is much easier if you take all the film out
>of canisters and throw it into zip lock freezer bags so the security folks
>can see it's film.

Or carry factory sealed stuff. I breezed through a hand inspection by
having everything unopened boxes and canisters.

On the way back (just after the attacks on Afghanistan had begun) I
couldn't get a hand inspection of my exposed film. So I had to send it
through the scanner. The operator claimed that it was safe up to ISO800.
And sure enough my Velvia and Provia were unharmed by the x-ray bombardment.

But I suppose that if you use 120/220 film, you could just carry it in your
pockets since the spools doesn't contain any metal. The only drawback is
that you need pretty big pockets if you shoot a lot of film.

>The earlier arrival at the airport is a good idea but going
>three hours ahead of time only means you'll be sitting in the coffee shop an
>extra two and half hours after going quickly through security.
>
>This of course changes from airport to airport, but in general it seems even
>two hours isn't necessary.

I would check with the airline. I thought I could get away with only one
hour, but decided to be at Providence (RI) airport 1.5 hours before my
flight (I was there at 5.00AM!!!). Even that early in the morning the
airport was packed. The line for security was at least 100yds long!!
Fortunately it moved pretty fast. But still... I only had about 20 minutes
at the gate. Providence is not exactly a big airport, so maybe the
situation is different elsewhere. But personally I'd rather be early than
late for a flight.

Tom