Subject: Re: [Leica] surprises and disappointment
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 10:38:06 -0600

abridge@mac.com (Adam Bridge)11/12/013:45 PM

JRFjr@compuserve.com
> thoughtfully wrote:
>
> > Talking the talk and walking the walk is very important in
the "art"
> > world. This photographer talked about his work and even did a
> > demonstration for you. You may not have been impressed but he
> > probably impressed anybody else standing around. Speaking
about your
> > work is very important in the art world. I hate talking about
my
> > pictures. My wife, an artist (she has the Master of Fine Arts
degree
> > to prove it), says I MUST talk about my pictures.
>
> I just HATE this philosophy - although it's all over -
painting,
> sculpture,
> writing, what-have-you.
>
> I've always believed, rather stupidly it turns out, that a work
stands by
> itself. There's the image: take what you wish from it. Now I'd
be happy to

It would help in this type of discussion to split the topic into
the relevant parts.

When discussing a work of art (any media) the art can and should
stand on its own. We can discuss the aesthetics purely.

When discussing the business of art (earning a living by selling
the art or rights of reproduction), gallery exhibitions, et al,
we need to add the marketing stuff which gets into the "buyer's"
need to "know" more about what s/he's buying, who made it, how,
when, why, etc. And in this area celebrity becomes as important
an issue as the work itself.

George