Subject: Re: [Leica] surprises and disappointment about art
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 02:48:57 -0500

Walter S Delesandri opines:

>   If you "dwell" on technique, or even DISCUSS gear,
> you're considered a 'geek' (so be it).  Needless to say, with these criteria,
> there would be NO artists on the LUG.

Walt, after viewing all 775 pictures submitted for this years FOM 2 I would
have to say there are quite a few artists/photographers on the LUG. I do
wish they would talk more about their photography than much of the foo foo
ra that goes on here. Lets stop lurking and start talking about your photos.

> CHANGE OF TOPIC:
> I've mentioned collecting (and using) vintage telegraph keys.  This is the
> future I see in traditional photography (50+years)...there will be us (we?)
> luddites, probably forever, using "archiac" processes, paying through the
> ass for film (from third world countries, like today's vacuum tubes)....
> Bear in mind that just 23 years ago I was selling G.E. Vacuum tubes by the
> thousands and held a commercial radiotelegraph (!!!) license!!!--no way would
> we have believed that "digital" would take over---EVER...
>
> Walt

With Eastman Kodak Motion Picture division being one of my clients (yes they
pay me money & I do not even use Tri-X, love that Delta) for the last 20+
years I have to say that the inside dope from Kodak, Aaton, Arriflex,
Panavision and the Hollywood film industry, etc, is that the consensus is
film will outlive anybody here on the LUG. Even Larry Thorpe VP of Sony HDTV
told me recently that 35mm film IS HDTV. Everybody needs to remember that
ALL film advances and new stock comes from the cinema division, then it
becomes the still film we all buy.

sl