Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon EOS for Leica-style...sorry!
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 00:39:54 -0800

Sipulmanjones@aol.com wrote:

> Does anybody have experience of the Canon EOS 24/1.4 or 85/1.2 lenses? I'm tempted to try them to extend my available light shooting longer and wider, and would be very interested to hear about their quality wide open and any problems of focusing them in low light.
>
> Simon.
> --
Simon Simon Simon! You pushed my button.
You don't post much i checked the archives and you were selling your R8 after
running two rolls though it because it didn't work well with your Viso lenses.
You love the M system. ?????
Now this.
????
Could an R8 possibly be a quicker working camera with R optics instead of Viso optics?

What could be remotely Leica-style about Canon EOS of all systems? I'm thinking perhaps...nothing?
How about a Nikon 24/1.9 or 85 mm 1.4 lenses?
How about a Minolta 24mm or 85 mm lenses?
How about a Pentax 24mm or 85 mm lenses?
How about a Contax 24mm or 85 mm lenses?
are we getting distracted here? So many cameras, so little time! :)

These particular Leica R focal lengths are 2.8's.
Leica has the awesome 35mm Summilux 1.4, but no fast 24.
But someone would buy into a whole new system just to get a 24 or 85 with a huge
chunk of glass on the front?

Leica M's have got some the best fast optics and these are optics which can be
used wide open in effect giving you the fastest quality shooting you can do.
We've got the Awesome now classic 75 1.4. And the best short telephoto in 35mm
photography bar none the 90 apo Asph Summicron.
I need a stop more than that so we've got to talk about Canon EOS lenses on the
Leica users group?
We've got the 75.

More pros and smart amateurs by far use EOS than any other gear by far.
LESS pros and smart amateurs by far use Leica than any other gear by far.

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here, but We've got the opposite end of
the market and the opposite mindset. We're not into whizz bang micromotor AF.
We're not into mass micromotor instant EOS gratification.

I'm sorry folks but to me a Leica user lover Canon EOS is a red flag. snort snort...
This is not a general photography list. The last OT thing I'd vote to hear about
is the *&^% EOS cameras.
Most of my pro and serious pals sold their beautiful Nikons for the then faster
AF'ing Canons.
They sold out like lemmings.
Then of course Nikon leapfrogged ahead.
I laughed (the traitors) but WHO CARES!!!??? Not me. I switched to Leica which
has the the most amazing AF in the market. Me. When i shoot I AM AF. I don't
think, I shoot. I don't need batteries.
I'm not going to buy a Canon or Nikon Body in effect getting into their system
just so i can shoot their 24 or 85 1.4 lenses.
We're well covered. Well represented by Leica in the 35mm format department.

This particular thread (It's not your fault Simon you'd have no way of knowing)
would be less personally annoying of a thread for me if it was prefaced by a
vignette about how the ones shots were stunted by lack of 1.4  glass in these
particular focal lengths.

How that 24mm shot of a million had just a tad to much camera shake or could
have benefited from an extreme ultrathin selective focus approach. So near yet
so far. Just out of reach.
Tell us about the shots you missed!!
What made you go shopping?
WHY are we talking EOS!?

You are NOT going to get wide open bokeh or contrast or resolution with Canons
like we get with Leica.
That's why we haven't joined the mindless masses buying the latest best thing.
This last decade it's Canon that's the white hot thing.
But Leica using is a perennial. We are the elite way to shoot 35mm EVERY decade
not just this one.
Our cameras are classics. The M6 is a classic. The R8 is a CLASSIC.

I'd certainly rather hear endless OT talk about fountain pens and single malt
scotch than the latest rundown on Canon EOS stupid silent wave white optics.

It's not the question that bugs me. It's the endless answers. Canon EOS banter. Retch!

But that's just me!
:)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon