Subject: [Leica] summarit 50/1.5
From: "wlmacintire" <wlmacintire@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 18:05:27 -0500

Jon Hiben wrote:

>Hi,

>Does any one have any comments on pros and cons of this lense. I would be
putting it on a >Bessa-r body.

>Or would i just be better getting the Voightlander 50/1.5 Nokton?

There were few replies to your recent question about this lens - I suggest
you search the archive for "summarit"- you'll find a lot of discussion about
it.  The consensus is that it's a soft lens, especially wide open, but it
has its fans.  I am one.  Actually, it's pretty sharp closed down, the lens
was designed more to be an all-purpose lens with fast f-stop capability when
needed, rather than optimized for use wide open. I use one on a Bessa R
myself, where it tends to reside more than any other lens. My experience is
that it is soft wide open, quite sharp around f 5.6, and tends to be low
contrast.   I find I like it best at around f 2.8.  It has nice bokeh, too.
If you want critical sharpness, especially wide open, go with the Nokton.
Erwin Puts rates the Nokton better than a Summilux (see:
http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html).  I may get one myself
someday, but I would not give up the Summarit even so.

Here's a story of some personal success with this lens.  My boss needed a
potrait taken for publicity use.  We did a session with one of the work
cameras, a Pentax K-1000, 50 f2 lens, shot a whole roll outside.  He hated
all the pictures, and asked me to reshoot.  There was nothing wrong with the
pictures exposure or focus wise, but he had this "I hate getting my potrait
taken" expression in every shot.  So, for the second session, I used the
Bessa R and the Summarit inside, in his office.  I also got a colleague to
join in and distract him with jokes.  The pictures from this sesssion were
very different, he seemed relaxed and informal, and 3-4 shots from the roll
were definite keepers.  Much of that success can be attributed to the nature
of the session rather than the camera and lens, but I was comfortable
shooting in available light at around 1/30 f2-f4 with the rangefinder, and
would not have been with an slr.  Also, the quiet nature of the camera, the
fact that he could not tell exactly when I was taking the picture,
definitely made it easier to capture him at the best moments.  And the
Summarit performed very well - its tendency toward some softness opened up
was flattering for potraiture.

If you can get a good deal on a Summarit in good condition, go for it.  They
seem to have gotten expensive of late on ebay, like $400 or so.  At that
price, I'd probably go for a Nokton.  Hoods are also hard to find for the
Summarit - I found one made by Walz at a pretty good price on ebay, complete
with a set of colored filters amd a case.  The Summarit has an odd filter
size, 41mm.

Bill Macintire

Replies: Reply from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] summarit 50/1.5)
Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] summarit 50/1.5)