Subject: Re: [Leica] DAS Picture of the Week XXX
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 17:00:30 -0500 (EST)

Wow! I'm gratified that after how many pictures someone finally had
something negative to say (nice pun!).

- --  The scan *is* bad - I have managed to bust out all of the little tabs
that hold the negative carrier together, so the centers of the pictures
are getting soft - and looking at that again from my office, PC gamma does
not do much to enhance the perception of focus in dark areas.  In the real
neg, the center is sharper than the box in the corner.

- --  The composition is deliberate.  I suppose it could have been done with
a 90, or from a lot closer (maybe 5 feet instead of 7), but then you lose
sight of the fact that compositionally -- it's really a pile of humans and
instruments in the middle of the Bourbon Street. It's exactly what I saw,
from the angle I saw it.

- --  From a philosophical standpoint, I am not sure I subscribe to (1) a
view that pictures need to tell a particular story; or that (2) closer is
better.  Sometimes you just like the way a scene looks, maybe the late
afternoon light with its soft colors, the blur of an f/1.4 Nikkor, maybe
the shapes, maybe the impression.  These guys didn't have a message
(other than five chords), so why would I impose one on them?  If you got
much closer, you would lose the context in which the picture was taken and
you would lose sight of the setting ("who are those two homeless guys?!").

Dante