Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Freezing Polaroid Film
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:08:35 -0500

At 01:46 PM 11/8/01 -0700, Tim Atherton wrote:
>apart from those illegal little mercury ones, which can apparently be
>damaged by freezing and may also last a shorter time when frozen than when
>just stored in a fridge
>
>(and don't ask me where I read the somewhat scientific report on that - it
>was a few years ago when they first started banning them...)

This has been discussed in detail on a variety of photo lists and, yes, you
should NOT freeze mercury batteries, though I recall that they will
physically burst and, if they do not do suchlike, are fine when warmed up.

And, again and again and again, mercury batteries have never been "banned":
 the distribution of mercury batteries without a recycling plan WAS banned,
which amounts to the same thing -- but the batteries are fine, though the
sale of them, apparently, is not.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!