Subject: [Leica] Darkroom exposure (was digit stuff)
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 09:20:52 -0800

Guy,

I am very careful when it comes to chemicals. Even those considered to be
relatively benign. Still, over the last few years I've noticed some changes
when I spend time over trays. Started out my lips became very chapped after
printing. (My lips never get chapped otherwise.)Yet I never touch any part
of my face in the darkroom, nor do I ever put my hands in chemicals.

If I inadvertantly come into contact with anything -- and it always seems
to happen regardless of how careful I am -- I wash with soap immediately.

Recently other things have occured. Not serious mind you. But I know it was
a result of working with darkroom chemicals because it only happened when I
spent time there. And I have to spend less and less time for it to happen.
And the affects seem to be getting worse. I'm in my mid-40s and I've been
printing and developing film for 20+  years. Maybe it's an age thing. Maybe
it's an exposure thing. Maybe it's just me.

My darkroom, BTW, is extremely well ventilated and I never use exotic
chemicals. OTOH, perhaps because I never used more dangerous chemicals, and
therefore took less care over the years, I've built up some allergies to
certain ingredients. I suppose there could be issues with ink, but I don't
think it's in the same league.

Dave

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom exposure (was digit stuff))
Reply from "Joe Codispoti" <joecodi@charter.net> (Re: [Leica] Darkroom exposure (was digit stuff))