Subject: Re: [Leica] digital
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:54:45 -0500

> The paper I work for most, soon going all digital, is on the verge of
> eliminating its
> darkroom and the very fine gentleman who has run it for years. The
technological
> change is a drag, the loss of Armand much worse, as he was always someone I
could
> consult with about my pics before heading over to the photo editor. No
computer
> (short of HAL) can replace him.
>
> The big news wire service I went to not long ago in search of a job made it
plain
> from the first moment that it was to be digital or nothing. On the other
> hand, I find
> the international stock agencies are still happy to deal with slides or
> negatives. I
> even sneak in a little Kodachrome from time to time. And the most
photo-friendly
> magazines still like slides. One of the best here in Canada will accept
nothing but
> slides - no negatives.
>
> The daily publications are obsessed with turnaround time and I am not
> convinced this
> is such a good thing. All very confusing but we are cursed to live in
interesting
> times.
>
> Emanuel Lowi
> Montreal
> --

I can understand the dailies and news related pubs wanting, needing digital,
but for the monthlies, such as the one that I own, http://www.icommag.com
there is no reason for digital images. In fact, I refuse to use any images
other than film.

sl

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] digital)