Subject: [Leica] Re: Instant film and freezing film
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 09:29:02 -0800

At 07:39 AM 11/7/2001 -0800, David Rodgers wrote:
>Arthur,
>
>I don't think it's good for Polaroid film to freeze it. On the contrary, I
>just keep it in a cabinet shelf. I only shoot b/w. I don't think aging or
>even out-of-date is as big a deal on b/w. BTW, I'm not really stockpiling
>instant film.  I'm just shooting quite a bit of both 55P/N and 56 right
>now. I really like the 56.
>
>I don't know if instant film will dissappear in the future. I just assume
>with the way things are it could. If they stop making it, they stop. I'll
>just shoot it while it's still available.
>
>Instant film is pretty expensive. Shooting it in 4x5 has been a very good
>lesson in patience, seeing, and attention to detail. It's something I need
>to practice, even in 35mm. Any resulting image with the 56 is one of a kind.

I get a lot of free Polaroid film. My local dealer sells it for half price
when it gets near the expiration date. History has proven that the
expiration date on Polaroid film is real. Obviously not each and every
package will go bad at exactly the same time, but my dealer has had enough
problems with Pro's buying a batch and using it over, maybe, six month and
having it go sour a month or two past the expiration date. So they always
ask me if I want some when it's close to the date. I say yes and then have
a Polaroid shoot fest.

Of that I received free and didn't use, I quite often find it bad long
before a year past expiration has lapsed. But I've had some last almost two
years...

Go figure.

So I have no clue as to how to store Polaroid material for years like one
does film. I have a brick (no pun intended) of 120 Agfa Iospan IFF from the
60's. It's been frozen since then. I thawed one roll (oh those nice screw
top aluminum tubes) and tested it. Still works in Rodinal like it did back
then. The long freeze time doesn't seem to have effected it. I'm saving the
rest for a special project. :)

Jim