Subject: Re: [Leica] [Leica} 50mm Summicron-M and flare
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 08:04:53 -0700

Hi Fred,

I did not see any responses so I thought I would stumble in. I also have
that lens and, yes, it is subject to veiling glare under certain conditions.
I have not used the lens that much since getting my 35s so this is all from
memory.  As far as I understand, the current version is similarly afflicted.
Neither is not as bad as the 90/2.8 TE.

The veiling glare only occurs under when the "brightness" is in a certain
position, in the mid-field of the image if I remember correctly. Oft reviled
Mr. Johnson also pointed this out as a significant flaw of the 50/2. Try a
little experimenting to narrow down where it occurs and learn a few German
swear words for when those situations arise :-). The 35/2 (A and non-A) and
the 35/1.4A are much better at handling back lit situations. I do not know
how the other 50s (Summi and Nocti) perform in these situations but perhaps
others will chime in with their experiences.

John Collier