Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Stuff
From: Roy Feldman <royfel@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:41:16 -0500

I can't tell you how much I appreciate Mr Brick's comments. I run the
digital part of Ford Photographic and can spend hours on internet lists
trying to find a few scraps of the insight Jim so generously shares. It is
such a rapidly evolving field that half truths abound.
My question: Every thing I output is an electronic file, either from
digital or a scan. Isn't the Leica advantage pointed out by Jim negated by
the scanning process? Having read the Putt's view on  scanner tests
(pretty bleak) is there anything capable of preserving the Leica edge when
transferring to the electronic medium, or can we only see this in original
prints? In my head I ( perhaps incorrectly) see a scanner as just a bulky
digital camera.
I own a D1x and a DCS 760 (and lots of M's) and confess that I get some
great images ( we have a Lightjet 5000) from the digital. They are tools
that work very well when instant feedback and transmission are necessary
(press conference to wire in 15 min) but my first love is the intimacy of
the M. Digital is not easier, it presents a whole new set of issues
( corrupted files, moire, strange red flair). But is it better to shoot
film and scan? Is the leica advantage thrown out when scanned, it it
necessary to use a drum scan to preserve it?
Jim & others, your thoughts?

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> ([Leica] Color vs B/W and Digital)