Subject: Re: [Leica] Summicron 90 question
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:26:18 -0800

At 12:15 AM +0100 11/6/01, James Symington wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I have managed to answer my own question on the Summicron by finding
>the appropriate page in the Puts Compendium! It's from 1979 and
>therefore version II. I would however be curious to know how this
>beast fares against the current line-up of 90mms if anyone can tell
>me.

The 90/2  of that vintage is a very decent lens, but pales in pure
optical performance against the current 90 APO-ASPH. The current
lens, like most other recent ASPH lenses is almost as good at it's
maximum aperture as it is at it's optimum. Whether you want this or
this is useful to you is a different matter. The older lenses (the
second version is not that much different from the third optically)
tend to have softer definition and smoother OOF regions than the
newer lenses at the wider apertures, and don't become really crisp
until f/4 or f/5.6.

All the newer lenses have improved coatings and flare handling characteristics.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com