Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar question.
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:10:20 -0800 (PST)

William Hu wrote:

Hi LUG,
    I had a chance to try the old version Tri-Elmar lens today. I found

that it is not very easy to change between 28-35-50mm range. But it is
an old version Tri-Elmar. I do not know if the new version has improved
on this issue. It is a small, good-built lens. And no trouble to bring
up the three different frames. I think that the only NOT SO GOOD point
is that not smooth to change between 28-35-50mm.

Hi William,

I have just bought the new version of the 3E, which is said to have
more positive click-stops than the old version for changing focal
lengths.

Focal lengths are sequenced 35-50-28. I find no problem changing from
28mm to 50mm and from 50mm to 35mm. Going the other way, however, is a
little more tricky. In changing from 35mm to 50mm, if I'm not gentle
enough I can easily over-shoot the click-stop for 50mm. Changing from
50mm to 28mm needs to be done a lot more firmly, to ensure that the
correct 28/90 framelines are selected. (If done too gently, the 50/75
framelines remain in place but applying a little more force will then
make the 28/90 framelines pop into place).

I've only had this lens for a coule of weeks and I feel sure it just
requires familiarisation for it to become second nature.

Regards,

=====
Ray