Subject: Re: digital, was: Re: [Leica] Piezo Plunge
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 5 Nov 2001 10:47:09 -0800

On Mon, 05 November 2001, David Rodgers wrote:

> One reason I've shied away from buying a digital camera is that I don't
> want to get stretched any thinner than I am. Heck I still struggle with
> whether to load slide or neg film. All I need is one more option. Sometimes
> too many options is a curse, as in "Jack of all mediums and techniques, but
> master of none"!
>
> If  Piezo printing is all that people say it is, I know I'll abandon my
> darkroom. Mentally, it's too difficult (for me at least) to stay on top of
> both. OTOH, if I don't like Peizo, I'll sell it to someone who does and go
> back to hovering over trays.
>
> I'm not ready to give up on film! At least not yet. Film is versatile and
> archival. Just not as "immediate" as digital capture. We seem to be living
> in a time/culture of immediacy. Is immediacy something we really need, or
> is it something industry is telling us we need?
>
> I've heard all the hype  about digital -- quality, speed, economy. Being
> able to see your image right then has some appeal. But isn't that merely a
> crutch? If its a static subject, you out to be able to get it right on
> film. If it's dynamic and you miss the shot, finding out now or later
> doesn't really matter. Better to spend time shooting than reviewing on the
> spot.
>
> For lots of reasons you hear the pros, but not necessarily the cons. And
> speaking to photographers who use digital cameras there is a downside.
> Admittedly, there are times when digital capture makes sense. Just not in
> my arena. Leica style photography is still film style photography, IMHO.
> But if digital prints from film can look as good as chemical prints, then
> I'm for digital printing.
>
> Dave

Dave,

I agree 100%.  Digital capture doesn't make sense for the kind of photos I make and there are many people for whom it makes the most sense.

Having leaned over the last 2 years to print from scans of my photos, there is no doubt in my mind that digital prints can look FAR better than enlarger prints.  There is a steep learning curve at first but given comparable training IMHO digital prints run circles around analog.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe