Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Dreams
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:50:52 -0800

on 11/5/01 9:19 AM, Doug Herr at telyt@earthlink.net thoughtfully wrote:

> My digital dream is a camera system with interchangable backs - film backs,
> digital backs, whatever... that would fit on either a reflex or rangefinder
> body.

I agree, Doug. It would be the best course for Leica to take since it would
preserve our investment in lenses. An RF and SLR body which could swap backs
would be great, esp if the digital part could be used between the two
bodies.

This would encourage people to use the right tool for the right job - SLR or
RF.

Unfortunately the mode of thought inside the camera industry is to follow
the computer "no upgrade" path where you have to buy a whole new body to get
the improved image sensor. Which is great for their profits but screws their
customers -- a poor model in my opinion.

Unfortunately the Japanese will almost certainly determine the form factor
for any interchangable digital back. This is not an area in which I have
much faith in them to do the right thing.

I suppose this is a somewhat analogous situation to the standardization of
the 35mm cassette. I have no idea how that happened, but the desire for
world domination probably wasn't included when it was designed. With our
luck Microsnot will be involved and every picture will pay them some royalty
and all our cameras will have to periodically be connected to the net or
they'll stop working.

Adam