Subject: Re: [Leica] the 90% rule-long, MORE rambling BS from Walt
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 14:14:57 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> Dragi Anevski wrote:
> >
> > I would say that all these things make the Leica the "better" camera.
As long as you're talking about RF cameras, this is probably a true statement.
Unfortunately, Leica NEVER made it in the "real" world with their SLRS...I LOVE
them, but the "world" chose Nikon in the 60s-70s, joined by Canon in the
80s-date.  As BD stated, most pros ALSO have, love and use Leica RFs...for
appropriate applications.
 If you
> > cannot say that a camera is better because is has say sharper lenses (which
> > Leica arguably has
It does now, but Zeiss glass was superior from the 30s-70s, and "pros" still chose Leica...
Zeiss had bodies that were beautifully finished, a joy to hold, but the NEVER held
up in heavy use.  I've owned, loved, and used them, but only as "sunday drivers"...

> > BUT, if enough people get "better" results with one brand than with
> > another...
Kinda explains the proliferation of Nikon in the sixties, I'd say!!! (for a while,
pro Nikon and Leica were close enough in street price to make the choice NOT one of
economics)

Pros use what they need to get the job done.  If it's Leica, so be it.  I'd say
that of all the still images you see today, few if any were shot with RF Leicas.
(I dont' want to argue the point that I don't even consider SLRs Leicas, although
I loved my R3 and R4--they were OK "nikons"--or was that minolta?)

Just accept the fact that were "fring lunatics", and ENJOY it!!!...My leicas
are worth more than my car (hell, so is my guitar, or my stereo, or my ham
radio gear.... for that matter).
My Nissan gets the job done.  I don't have any "reverence" for it...
I do for the Leicas.
My Nikons get the job done, as does my B&J, Cambo, Mamiya (YUCK), etc....
But I still grab an M4 and throw it on my shoulder when I go out.....and I try
to print the TX on my Valoy II!!!!--now that's art, not work.

Have a good weekend,
Walt