Subject: RE: RE: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
From: "Doug Ford" <dford@san.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:08:42 -0800

http://www.surebeamcorp.com/food/faqs.html#9

- -----Original Message-----
From: owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
[mailto:owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us]On Behalf Of Alexey Merz
Sent: Sunday, October 28, 2001 8:54 PM
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: OT: RE: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film

On Sunday, October 28, 2001, at 10:47  PM, Leica Users digest wrote:

> Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 06:53:48 -0800
> From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
> The perceived ( or real ) need to irradiate all the mail in
> certain Post
> Offices, regardless of actual destination of letter, was forced by
> the USPS
> labor unions to protect their workers.  If you accept that fact,
> then FedEx
> or DHL or UPS will be forced to do the same, or face serious financial
> consequence from lawsuits or work stoppages of employees.

Ok, anyone wants to reply to this please do so on the LUG Forum, I
won't post here again on this topic.

Wanna see a terrorist risk? Just put a screamin' hot gamma source -
a lump of Cesium 137, say - in every Post Office in the country.
Many such lumps have gone missing in the former Soviet Union, where
they have been used as slow and relatively undetectable
assassination devices by the Mob. The more lumps spread around the
country, the greater the likelihood that some lumps go missing.

Let's remember to count the actual deaths that have occurred so far
(and compare to, say, 9/11!), and remember that if the terrorists
had used Anthrax to kill the maximum number of people rather than
scaring our loud but (almost entirely, Dr. Blacktape
notwithstanding) scientifically illiterate media, they would have
dispersed the material in the subway at rush hour. They still
might; irradiation of mail would do absolutely *nothing* to prevent
it.

What ever happened to the Republicans' insistence that cost/benefit
analyses be used in public safety decisions? The silence is
deafening.

Alexey Merz
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover NH 03755-3844
alexey@webcom.com | alexey@dartmouth.edu
603-650-1702 | http://www.webcom.com/alexey/