Subject: Re: [Leica] Techpan shooting + developing
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 20:23:11 -0800

on 10/28/01 7:47 PM, Peter Zak at pzak@desidero.com.au thoughtfully wrote:

> Any suggestions about how to best develop this film, my last go with
> Technidol wasn't exactly a total success.
>
> Also, what is the best ISO to rate the film at, from memory I think I
> tried 16 ASA.

Check the archives of the past month - we've been talking about this at some
length.

I have been shooting TP and developing using Technidol and am going to try
some of the other flavors which have been suggested.

I shoot at ASA 25. I have followed the development instructions religously
and so far I've been VERY pleased with the results. I had a commercial B&W
lab do a couple of rolls. While I was pleased with the detail the results
were flat.

Developing it myself has given me greatly improved contrast with no loss of
detail. I follow the processing instructions religously - shaking for 2
seconds out of 30, plunging the reels into the filled tank and starting the
time cycle.

Printing on RC paper I was forced to work at contrast grade 4.5. Processing
my own film I got great results at 2.5.

I set all the chemistry at 68 degrees and keep it there for all the
solutions including the wash. I can send you a scan if you are interested in
comparing notes.

What sort of problems did you have?

Adam

(who is a neophyte at this but I'm starting to use this more and more for
portrait work.) Over the next month I intend to shoot maybe 25 rolls of
this. It sure is nice to have a film which tests the sharpness of the 50mm
Summicron.

AB