Subject: [Leica] Re: Win XP
From: "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:21:12 -0500

Bill:

>but I strongly caution you to check first whether your
>existing computer equipment will support the WinXP system.

I'd go one step further.  I'd suggest not upgrading Microsoft OSes unless
your current one is so flaky it won't work.  If you want a new OS, buy a new
computer with that OS pre-installed.  Then you don't have to worry about
compatible drivers.  Microsoft does have an "HCL" available...Hardware
Compatibility List.  Or, they did for NT and Win2k.  Assuming they'll do the
same with XP.

In my experience, the best way to install an OS is to *completely* wipe the
harddrive.  I don't even know if "fdisk" exists anymore.  The "upgrade"
options are the buggiest way to install a Microsoft OS.  Too many variables.

Eric

Message from "Bill" <bnelsch@qwest.net> ([Leica] Win XP)