Subject: Re: Shutterbabe Re: [Leica] Curiosity on Magnum
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 10:03:40 -0400

The utter shallowness of "Shutterbabe..." And you and I, Arthur,
obviously take away very different things from the Loyd book. But that's
hardly surprising.

First off, yes, he was addicted to heroin. What's your point? His
writing on the subject, in the book you so scorn, is some of the most
insightful about heroin addiction I have read anywhere. And as to his
abilities as a photographer or writer, Loyd certainly has far more
talent as a writer and reporter, and probably as a photographer, than
certain people's work we never get to see, for some reason.

And Loyd's observations about combat photography and its meaning or lack
there of apply to the work of virtually any photographer in a combat
situation, not just to his own, self-described as inadequate, work.

B. D.