Subject: [Leica] Third Quarter Viewfinder - Stars and Stripes lift
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 11:04:16 -0700

An inventive innovative thing Bill did this issue was lift an article from the
November 28 1945 Southern Germany Edition Stars and Stripes right off the pages
and put it right into the VF! The Viewfinder.
"The Trade-Name is Golden.
It's disadvantages are Many" by William Jordy.
With just a slight amount of difficulty you can read the thing. Looks like a
Xerox copy. The writing is so good and interesting i was grabbed and read the
whole darn thing!

A VERY interesting perspective on Leica. Especially when viewed in it's original
format like this.
Worth the price of admission right there. Some controversial issues brought up.
NOT propaganda!

"Those at the Leitz plant are also amused at the universal demand for the F2
lens, instead of the f:3.5. Just as "Leica" has become a magic noun, so "F-2"
has become the magic adjective. Some GI's think the lower the number, the better
all the pictures will be. Nothing could be more fallacious.
..."
(not one of the more controversial subjects as I see it)

I think they were saying the big "disadvantage" was as the format is so small
(35mm!!) "expensive" enlargements must always be made. I guess lots of folks
would make contact prints from their Rolleiflex negs!?? with a light bulb
hanging from the ceiling or a contact printer.
Well certainly their Speed Graphic 4x5 negs could be contacted and used!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/