Subject: Re: [Leica] The Visoflex System: Pellicles (formerly An Overview)
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:03:23 -0500

As a former Hassy owner and current Visoflex user, this pellicle thread
has made me curious - is a pellicle so directional that it would block
light from the ground glass (or whatever) focusing screen from getting
down into the film area?  I assume the Canon Pellix was mostly used at
eye level where the user's eye/head would block most light coming back
into the camera body, but a Hassy with waist level viewer would seem to
offer a huge light pipe into the innards at the time of exposure unless
it were covered somehow.

Also, as I recall the 500C and ELM Hassys that I had, the upper "barn
door" that covered the film gate while the front shutter was open swung
up flush with the top inside of the camera box, against the already-up
mirror, just before an exposure was made.  A fixed pellicle would block
this motion, so I assume that even if a pellicle were feasible on a
Hassy it would only be so on the focal plane models.  Or do they have
barn doors too?  (Never inspected one, so don't know personally.)

Just some random thoughts.  A pellicle in a Viso III sounds like it
would be pretty neat, and would avoid my having to fine tune the shutter
release adjustment screw to let the Viso mirror get all the way up
before the camera shutter starts to move.

Cheers,
Kip