Subject: Re: [Leica] new Leica LTM Lenses
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:48:17 +0200 (MEST)

Leica's "special editions" indeed require only minimal investment in
r&d and tooling. More important they generate additional sales with
higher margins, but without cannibalising the sales of "regular"
models.

The latest ones with substantial input in this regard, the M6J with
2.8/50 were soon offered as regular models. I believe that even r&d on
new lenses is mainly on the computer at moderate cost. I remember an
article claiming that the e.g. the Apo 2/180 was put in production
without prototyping! The aspherical elements were made possible by an
innovation from Docter Optics, with Leica as the first commercial user.
The bottlenecks seem to be in electronics and production capacity in
general.

After a booming collectors' market until the early 1990s, nowadays
Leica's "instant collectibles" are manufactured in just slightly too
high numbers. I remember that almost every Leica dealer in Germany had
a M6J on display, but it took years and finally large discounts to sell
them off. The same with the latest LTM lenses.

As a "collecting user" I miss the fun (and lack the money) on ordering
"collectibles" from Leica's catalog.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] new Leica LTM Lenses)