Subject: [Leica] Smoking and all this. Over now?
From: "Mikko Kalavainen" <mikko.kalavainen@mobiili.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 10:04:22 +0300

I'm sorry.

Because I started this by posting the offending image, I feel I must do
something to end this foolishness.

Smoking. All I have to say about this subject anymore is this. I like
smoking. End of story. Nothing, I mean nothing, can beat the combination
of my morning cup of coffee, Lavazza-brand brewed on my Bialetti
stove-top moka-pot, and the first cigarette of the day. Nor the
combination of a big fillet of beef with a good, hearty red wine, a cup
of espresso, some cognac, and a cigarette. Or a cigar.

The way I see it, the stuff is called "nautintoaine" in Finnish.
Stimulant is the proper translation, although "enjoyment artifact" is
more accurate.
I like to smoke. I said it again.
BUT. Like I said earlier, if someone objects to my smoking, I put it
out. For the moment. All one has to do is ask. But nicely. If anyone
comes yelling to me about, I can't see a single reason to be civilized
to this person. Fanaticism is something I can't stand.
And because you asked, I removed the image. Plain and simple. It wasn't
such a good picture of me anyway.
In Finland we actually do have quite strict policies about smoking,
mainly due to the fact that we are a part of the European Union, which
imposes several sillysilly laws on us. (Example: The maximum _curvature_
of a cucumber is dictated in a book somewhere. So now farmers have to
divide their cucumbers when they sell them. Class A and Class B.
A-cucumbers a naturally more straight. hmph).
As a result of scores of doctors and lawyers too I imagine, we are now
in a situation where all restaurants are required to have a non-smoking
section that encompasses 75% of the restaurant. In a country where the
smokers number a whole lot more than 25% of the nation. You still can
smoke on the streets, and on your balcony, or out of your window.
Although that too has been in the courts for many times. You can guess
why.

The bottom line? My own rule about smoking:
"If you don't enjoy it, don't smoke it.
 If others don't enjoy it, don't smoke it either."
Cuts it down about 50%.

Please, let's kill this thread right here, right now.

     -mikko . hedonist by nature-
http://www.geocities.com/kalavami
     mikko.kalavainen@mobiili.net
New images on the way, later today.