Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Lugforum] Liars Figure: Smoking Pistols!
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 22:08:25 -0400

At 05:24 PM 10/21/01 -0700, Adam Bridge wrote:
>In the United States the EPA clean air regulations have made profound
>changes to automobile emissions standards over the past three decades which
>have resulted in substantially better air quality.
>
>It's not good yet, but the technology is definitely getting there and as
>long as the government doesn't back off it's zero-emissions requirements for
>a percentage of the fleet it'll get better.

Absolutely, Adam, even though such is NOT the purview of the federal
government.

My paternal grandfather was 96 when he died, and he lived all of his life
next to a steel mill.  My father was 84 when he died, and he lived
three-quarters or more of his life in heavily polluted environments.  My
mother is currently 80, and the same background is on her.  I'm 51, and
also was raised in such an environment.

No doubt, if a non-smoker died today with my background -- raised in
Pittsburgh, born in Los Angeles, and so forth -- you would rush with your
fevered hands to stamp "smoking-related causes" on their death certificate ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!