Subject: [Leica] Acros 100
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 18:29:42 -0400

I have to join  in the crowd of very pleased customers for Acros.  I think
the thing that bothers some people is that it's characteristic curve in Xtol
1:3 is very, very long.  It also doesn't seem to have much in the way of
adjuvancy effects.  This means that the highlights don't block up like they
do for T-Max if you are not very, very diligent and it also means that the
shadows detail is there if you want it.  My conclusion is that the film was
optimized for scanning rather than printing.

The implications of a long curve is that contrast doesn't boost apparent
sharpness, with Acros you gets lots and lots of tonality.  For an example,
see http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=404489  This was shot with a
DR at 1/30 wide open. If you analyze the scene, there is 8 stops range
captured on this negative: 1/30@2 compared to 1/125 @ 16. There is detail in
the middle section of the black chairs and I could print Bokeh king trees in
the outside OOF areas.  The negatives were developed in Xtol, 1:3, 20
minutes at 21C, agitation continuous first minute then 5 seconds every
minute thereafter in a small tank.  100ml stock solution per 36 exposure
roll.

My take on this film is that it is very desirable for those times when you
want to hold detail in a contrasty scene.  For situations when I want a
contrasty negative I will continue to use 100APX.  I also think that Acros
would be a very flattering portrait film when you want exquisite tonal
scale.  Now, why don't I continue to use XP2 which has similar
characteristics?  I get way to many damaged negatives from the lab, don't
want to start C-41 at home, and can get better results for fast film with
Neopan 1600.

Finally talking about photography again.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com