Subject: Re: [Leica] LTM and Leica's future
From: John Collier <jbcollier@powersurfr.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 09:19:12 -0600

The resources "wasted" on the Leica O series amounted to two apprentice's
time. They still had the original tooling. All the special models you see
require very little development time and return huge profits. Leica has,
possibly accidentally, developed a huge collector's market that can be
depended upon to buy one of whatever they produce. In the last twenty years
Leica has produced many versions of essentially the same camera (the M6).
Development costs are very low and profits much higher than regular
production. These models do not take much time away from regular production
as the special finishes are usually farmed out. Leica does assemble them
but, considering the profit margins, they would be better off to go to 100%
commemorative editions! :-)

What does cost money and time is the development of all the new lenses they
have been producing in the last ten years. The aspherical elements have
required new production techniques; very expensive. Without the these new
lenses, I think Leica would have disappeared. As it is we have available the
best lenses in the business and Leica has carved out a comfortable niche for
itself. Unfortunately this niche has been ravaged by economic turmoil in the
last five or so years. Many other high end companies are struggling as well
so perhaps there is little Leica could have done differently.

As an counter example, I am purchasing a Nikonos V as they have just been
discontinued. The normal lens for this camera has had the same design for
forty years. It is OK but nothing to write home about. If Nikon had invested
R&D time into its Nikonos line, they would not be discontinuing it now.*

John Collier

* I am very familiar with the development and demise of the RS system. Lack
of proper R&D at incept doomed the system from the start. For your $10 000US
plus investment, you got a rebodied Nikon 5005!!!!! Needless to say AF
performance underwater (dark and low contrast) was very poor. People much
preferred the using housed high performance cameras such as the F5 or the
F100/90 series. I could go on but it is too sad a tale.

Replies: Reply from Marshall Hunt <huntmc2@fuse.net> (Re: [Leica] LTM and Leica's future)