Subject: [Leica] LTM and Leica's future
From: "Greg Bicket" <gbicket@home.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:08:42 -0400

While I am pleased for those who enjoy the novelty of the recent LTM
offering, and try to resist the fashion to slather over one Leica camera
style while dumping on others, my initial reaction to that effort was to
think of the energy and imagination and resources lost to the M and R lines
whilst Leica worked on O.

If all is as dire as the annual report suggests, what could Leica have been
thinking about to divert its resources to the inception, sourcing,
manufacture and distribution of this historic replica?  During all this
fiddling, camera technology is racing along.

It was fun, no doubt, to work on these products, as they probably reflected
some of the design/manufacturing philosophies and techniques that modern
economics for which avid camera builders like Leica wax nostalgic.  Fun in
the workplace is important, but this seems 'way over the top to me.  Does
Leica really have the time and energy to spare on making collectibles when
it in many ways it is lagging behind its contemporaries in design and
manufacture?

Not only do these seem legitimate questions of any company with a balance
sheet like Leica's, but just as troubling is that they seem to have [again]
mis-projected the market for cameras and lenses, as the market segment
interested [again] seems smaller than the limited number of these cameras
they offered.

I truly do hope that those who enjoy the LTM cameras enjoyed this recent
salute to that line.  It was an interesting, if ill timed diversion.  What
Leica desperately needs is focus.  When things are robust, it is important
to confirm an organization's roots.  It seems to me now is the time for
Leica to be staying up nights discovering and developing products that will
be vigorously embraced by large, long-lasting market segments upon which
Leica can rely for steady demand years into the future.

Enjoy the light.

Greg Bicket

Replies: Reply from Phil Stiles <stiles@metrocast.net> (Re: [Leica] LTM and Leica's future)