Subject: Re: [Leica] Better than an slr...
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:46:52 -0400

 Dan Post wrote:

"Jim-
questioning whether the Wetzlar (or Solms) lenses are better than the
Canadian might result in another food fight here. The consensus seems to be
that the Canadian lenses are every bit as good if not better then the German
copies- and considering that ELCAN developed the Noctilux, and Lord only
knows how many satelite lenses, they might actually have an edge!!!
The Canadian Elves might be a bit more adept than the Solmische Gnomes! (I
say that because of the vast number of Canadian LUGgers who would otherwise
stop the Molson shipmenst South!!!"

Well, patriotism notwithstanding (and I think, in today's climate, patriotism is am
especially lousy substitute for reason and the facts...) I have no problem stating
that the Canadian Leica gear is less than their classic German equivalents. Trotting
out the old lore about the Elcan stuff is no proof of quality whatsoever - the
military contract items were mostly made to satisfy budgetary requirements and were
in no real way superior to consumer grade Leica pieces. I think this applies to a lot
of military gear in general - sub-par construction, inflated pricing for the Defence
Dept. free spenders of taxpayers dollars.

Bad news for patriots: German beer and wine are also generally superior to their
Canadian equivalents.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal

Replies: Reply from Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu> (Re: [Leica] Better than an slr...)