Subject: Re: [Leica] filters or scratches (Clear Plastic Tape / Camera destruction)
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 11:18:36 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Although this reply reeks of "how pregnant is she", here goes:

A single or a few scratches, on ANY surface, probably contribute to less
OVERALL flare than an uncoated (tiffen) filter.  Many fine scratches (the
sandpaper effect) are much worse than one big ol' gouge.  Many cleaning marks
(summarit) probable are about as detrimental as an uncoated filter.
A coated filter is probably totally irrevalent in 99.9 percent of the cases.
Leica lenses before the mid sixties are VERY easy to scratch (coating)...and are ALSO
generally poorer than Nikon or Canon RF lenses-in performance and durability.
  Later lenses are virtually impossibleto damage with REASONABLE,
 SANE, CAREFUL use and cleaning.

I offer NO science here, just many years of use of all these lenses...in a variety
of conditions.....I'd prefer 1966 or later Leica lenses in mint shape. (No, I don't
care which version--makes virtually no photographic difference, in any REASONABLE
use of 35mm photography) My second choice would be the same lenses with tiny
flaws.  Then, probably late Cosina stuff, followed by Canon/Nikkor gear from
the 60s.  Last resort would be Canon stuff from the fifties.  No where on the list
would be 50s Leica stuff.  Most of it was inferior both in original quality (which
helped Nikon/canon immensely) and in the way it has stood the test of time.
I've used a Summarit for years, but it sucks wind wide open AND IT WAS FREE!!!

I've left out Zeiss stuff in Leica mount, because there's virtually NONE available.
I did use Zeiss/Nikon stuff on my Contax IIIA, and it's performance was
BREATHTAKING, even by today's standards....as I sit and look at a print from
one of those negatives!!!--

Now, here's my totally unscientific summary:
For most of the valid uses of 35mm photography (prints up to 11x14, dynamic subjects,
reportage)....IT DON'T MATTER!!!....ANY of the above stuff is BETTER THAN NECESSARY.
I use Leica and Nikon because I >>LIKE<< it.

I stress again, this is empirically obtained information.  I believe it to be true,
but I offer NO science (nor am I interested in any) to either prove or disprove it.

Walt