Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:17:22 -0500

Austin Franklin, in a throughly contentious style, wrote
after I said:
>> Some use the green channel only,
>
>Who that you know of (for sure)?
The Leaf Lumina - it took only the info from the green filtered section
of the trilinear CCD to the AD converter.

Anyway, Austin, I further stated that it was faster also because there
was less data to move around.

And then when I stated:
Austin wrote:
>>But they ALL scan in RGB (except the Leaf as far as I know) then convert to
>>grayscale in the scanner.  Are you suggesting that because you can do the
>>conversion better in PS that what is done in the scanner?  What would be
>>"stubborn" in a negative that would "necessitate" that?

Austin, this is from my experience using lots of different scanners over
lots of years. I suggest you try it yourself before you poo-poo it. You
probably won't need to since you have what may be one of the best desktop
scanners around even though its old. Go get a 3-5 year old flatbed (or an
older film scanner) that does not work very well by todays standards, try
it in both grayscale and RGB then come back and let us know how it
worked. You might be surprised.

As to using PS to do a grayscale conversion after scanning a B&W neg as
rgb, it does not make for a better conversion. There is no color info to
"mix" for better results.

Before you rip into my posts why not suggest YOUR better method of work
and tell why its better?  Be positive and uplifting my boy!

Tell how you do it.
You probably have a smart trick or two figured out - that might help
someone.

No more from me on this subject.

Henry