Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:41:22 +0100

Hi Henry,

>the intended viewing conditions and be happy. I'll be happy to share the
>simple workflow I use to make B&W prints using color inks if anyone is
>interested.

I'd love to hear your take on it. I've spent the weekend trying to match a
neutral step wedge and have had some success - but as you say still have a
colour cast. I managed to eliminate most of the nasty casts, a strong
magenta cast in the 70%+ region - blacks - (Epson 1290) so I'm reasonably
happy. I'm using Transfer curves to achieve this in PS6. I use Epson's RC
Premium Semigloss paper fwiw - really like this paper.

I also tried someones suggestion to print using only the B&W ink from an RGB
image (what I use for the above). It seems to give a slight green tint &
increased grain from the printer but better overall neutrality. Combining
that with a transfer curve helps to increase the range - my printer does
block things up in the shadows without this adjustment. I now sort of have a
cool setting, and a warm one which isn't so bad. Actually - I find the best
prints I get so far with my limited experience, are with conversion to
Duotone, Tritone or Quadtone in PS -  but doesn't help for everything of
course.

I'm only doing this because I'm trying to stop myself from spending a grand
on Cone's latest B&W system for the 1280/1290. I only hope they *don't* send
me my samples..! ;) <G> Me thinks a 2nd hand 1200 & their existing system
would be a cheaper route perhaps.. but is the difference worth it?

C'mon Henry spill the beans on your workflow.. Please..! <G>

Cheers,
Neil