Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 10:43:19 -0400

> - what should be the usual output dpi resolution when printing Piezo ?
> I heard here and there and read some articles in mags and the
> net, some says
> 300 dpi, others 750 dpi ... I'm confused about that.

If Piezo is your output medium, the ALWAYS scan at the full resolution of
the scanner.  ALWAYS.  Do NOT use any interpolation in PhotoShop when you
resize your image.  Let the PPI fall where it does.  The Piezo driver wants
as much resolution as it can get.  The Piezo driver has to convert the
grayscale image to the four inks, and you really only want one conversion in
the process (the driver), or you degrade your image more than you need to.

There has been some misinformation about "magic" printer PPI...and there is
NONE for grayscale images.  These "magic" PPIs are ONLY for line art
(text/graphics that only contain pure black ink, no halftoning).  They do
NOT apply to Piezo at all, Piezo has NO "magic" PPI.