Subject: Re: [Leica] Image Stabilization revolutionises telephoto available light?
From: "Douglas Herr" <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 00:11:53 +0800

- -----Original Message-----
From: Sipulmanjones@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:39:13 EDT
To:  <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

> Does anybody have any experience with the new Image Stabilization lenses? I'd love to hear Erwin's take.
>
> The arrival of Canon's 70-200 f2.8 Image Stabilization lens has made me wonder whether the new IS technology has completely changed the ways in which telephoto lenses can be used for Leica-style available light documentary (people doing stuff) photography.

<snip>

> If the Canon Image Stabilization technology really does deliver high quality results at several stops below what you would normally expect the telephoto available light situation is very different - giving two to three stops advantage. With 200mm, f2.8 at 1/60 or 1/30 the main problem will be subject movement.

<snip>

> On the face of it, the Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS lens on a quiet EOS5 looks like a strong combination for Leica-style photography with a telephoto.
>
> Simon, Boston MA.

I haven't used any IS equipment but a good way to stabilize long lenses without a tripod is a shoulder stock.  I've gotten consistently good results at 1/125 sec with the 400mm f/6.8 Telyt:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/BLSK.HTM

often 1/60 sec works well too:

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/PRWA.HTM

This is 30-year-old technology.  The biggest disadvantage is that the shoulder stock causes security-types to jump all over you.

- --

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com