Subject: [Leica] Film Scanner for Leica Images
From: Roger Bunting <leica35@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 18:09:17 -0700 (PDT)

Sorry if this is a repeat. It hasn't shown up on my
system for 24 hours.

I've watched the many threads on scanning (here and in
other groups) and I'm still perplexed about the
quality of digital prints produced from scanned film
images.

I have limited digital experience working with
Photoshop from Kodak PhotoCD scans and flatbed  8x
scans of mostly color negative images and commercial
lab prints. I've been able to "salvage" some
displayable prints from the PhotoCD, the flatbed scans
have just been mostly PS practice.

Only on occasion do I display anything larger than
9x12" color prints. My B&W days are gone since
developing a severe skin allergy to the "wet" stuff in
the darkroom.

If I stay to the 9x12 print and an upgrade of my Epson
870 (don't know what's currently the low price
standard), is the Nikon Coolscan IV ($900) scanner
adequate? I visited my local pro-shop this weekend and
very uncharactistically they were pushing the Nikon
CoolScan 4000 very hard. However, they conveniently
had do demos or even samples to show, and I'm in a
very slide centric club community - very little
expertise in my circles on prints.

I should also say that I'm not a volume printer, this
is a week end hobby when I'm not traveling for work.
The automation features on the 4000 are not a
necessity for what I do, so I'm strictly trying to
make the decision on the quality of displayed prints
(not gallery work).

Regards,
Roger