Subject: [Leica] Re: Ruined slides -- I've had it now
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 11:04:36 -0700

I realize that this is not possible for everyone, but I have said, on the
LUG many times...

When serious about photography, when spending money traveling, when
encountering fleeting moments, when photographing these moments and other
non-reproducible events... One has to be extremely careful not to break the
chain of confidence.

This is why I do not use Kodachrome. It's not the film, it is the fact that
the film must be sent, by someone, to someone else, of whom, I know nothing
and know not where. All a recipe for possible disaster without any
culpability by the perpetrators.

When I use a lab, I only use a lab that I can walk into and talk to the
actual person the will be processing my film. When they know me by sight,
there is more chance that they will be careful with my film. Even then, I
have had the occasional glitch. Mostly dirt which was easily re-washed off.
For awhile, Fuji Velvia curled more than other films during drying and if
they weren't left to cool before mounting, the mounter would put a fine
scratch on the base just inside the sprocket holes. They solved that with
my help.

All of my life, except for a few years between 1992 and 1997, I have
processed everything myself. And yes, I have goofed on my own film. But
never on film that was expensive and impossible to re-du. Photographs of
fleeting moments in far away places.

I personally process everything that goes through my cameras. I take my
time and double check everything. If there is any possibility that the
chemistry might be too old, I walk outside my house and quickly shoot a
roll of the same film type (E6, C41, or B&W), I include a MacBeth color
chart when appropriate, and process it as a single roll in the questionable
chemistry, wash and dry it, and inspect it. Then proceed from there.

The labor of travel, finding the proper light, being somewhere special,
having that flash of insight, being at the right place at the right time,
and I could drone on forever here... is too much to waste on letting some
unknown person, in some unknown place, who doesn't know me from Adam,
process my film. There's just too much at stake.

And I understand that it is not a choice for some people. But if you do
have a choice, you should make the right choice.

Are you going to continue using that lab Pascal?

Jim

Replies: Reply from "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Ruined slides -- I've had it now)