Subject: [Leica] Guinea watermen
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@wm.edu>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 19:23:46 -0400

Still scanning stuff from the Jubilee last Saturday.  The watermen in my
area make their living dredging or tonging for clams, employing compound
nets for spot and croaker (small coarsefish), crabbing, and poaching duck
and deer.  It's one of the last (and fading fast) places where traditional
maritime industries still operate on the Chesapeake Bay.

This character has just finished the crabpot pulling contest at the Guinea
Jubilee (the guy on the ladder's next up), and is listening to his buddies'
ribald comments on his performance.  I see him down at the Achilles General
Store pretty frequently and will probably give him a copy of this
print.  We don't know each other except by sight, and I'm sure that he
considers me one of the "come 'eres."

The Guineamen speak a dialect that has puzzled any number of
linguists--some of them my colleagues.  I've lived out here long enough
that I can usually understand it, unless they're laying it on thick (and
they do)--especially at the Jubilee, which is "their" show.  I can't
imitate it.

I've got a few more images, but the light was really, really tough--broken
cumulus under a brilliant sky with rain squalls.  Exposure could change by
three stops in a matter of seconds.

  http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown/photography/New/waterman.htm

I'm right at the edge of my skills with PhotoShop.

Chandos