Subject: Re: [Leica] Investment decisions......
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:05:08 -0700

> Brian....is it true that you are responsible for
> the "@" symbol in Internet email addresses?

It's fuzzy and complicated. The choice of the "@" sign was made by
several people at about the same time. I generally credit Charlotte
Mooers with being the first. She generally credits John Vittal, as does
John. I probably got the idea from Phil Karlton, who was killed in a car
crash in Italy a few years ago without ever revealing who he would
credit.

Until the middle 1970s it was customary to write email addresses as

	mooers at bbn
rather than
	mooers@bbn
or (much later)
	mooers@bbn.arpa
then even later
	mooers@bbn.com

I was certainly pretty forceful in my push to get "@" used in place of
"space-at-space", but I don't think it's fair to say that I invented it
or selected it. I will absolutely take credit for having provided
rational justification for it (it could be typed on every keyboard of
that era without using the SHIFT key, and it had no other meaning at the
time). Other people who contributed to this include Austin Henderson,
Ken Pogran, Ed Taft, Diana Bajzek, Martin Frost, and probably many
others that I don't remember.

Here is a copy-and-paste quotation from the first written standard for
email:

   We suggest that the text of network mail, whether transmitted
   over the FTP telnet connection (via the MAIL command) or over a
   separate data connection (with the MLFL command), be governed by
   the syntax below:

      Example: