Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica sighting - Leica and the pros
From: maildenizsaylan.com@heimdall.x-dot.de
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 15:02:30 +0200

Hi Lugers,

For me, Leica M is my first choice in working tool and most of my colleagues I
know are using it, too.
But as a professional photographer you are confronted with unpredictible
situations and that is the reason that many do not only take the M, as I too.
The other problem I learned from a photographer from National Geographic
Magazine, I met a few weeks ago, when he looked at my Leica and said: "I wish, I
could use it. I tried it a few times, but I never got used to its system."

I like the small body of the M and the small and precise lenses.  I like it,
when people think I´m a tourist more than that they think I´m a professional and
I hate carrying large photo bags with me and heavy Nikons.

But when I put my gear together for a journey, I can´t let my Nikons at home. So
I ended up to take two M6 in my bag with 21,28,35,50 and 90mm and a Nikon F100
with the 2.8/80-200 and the 60mm macro lens, a Nikon SB28 Flash which I use as
well with the Leica M6 in A mode. In my gear there are all the other lenses for
my Nikon (17-35mm, 28-70mm, 300mm 28mm PC)

Reza is using his EOS gear as well and two weeks ago, I met Jim Nachtwey in New
York at the Time Magazine Office just a few hours before he left for Afganistan.
In his bag: (for his very first time) a digital camera and a laptop to send the
photos to New York directly. Also his coverage about the Terror Attack in New
York was shoot with Nikon.

At the end there is only one thing what really counts: the picture.

During my work in New York the two last weeks (some photos can be seen at
www.denizsaylan.com) I praised my two M6 and the lightness moving through the
streets of the City without a hurting back and without any restrictions in
taking pictures by the people and that I was able to get close.

When I dropped one M6 and the rangefinder was out of shape I called Leica and
the same evening somebody from Leica USA came to Manhattan to pick up my brocken
M6 and bring a new M6 body in order to proceed my work.

This is maybe not the service a amateur would get, but for us professional
photographers, a backup by the Camera Companies is equal important as a good
working and reliable photo gear.

And when everything goes wrong and the situation tells you that it is better not
to show up with large photo equipment, the Leica is with me at any situation,
small and hidden in one of my pockets.

Bes